- Timothy hay insurance is only available for irrigated pure timothy hay stands intended for export from designated areas of the province. Maps indicating insurable townships are available at all SCIC customer service offices.
- Insurance is provided for yield loss below the production guarantee and quality loss below the Choice grade.
- Quality compensation will only be provided for downgrading factors caused by an insurable peril, ex. excessive rain.
- Premium discounts and surcharges do not apply
Producers are advised to consult the Timothy Production Handbook for detailed agronomic practices.
Failure to follow the terms and conditions and recommended practices may result in the reduction or denial of any claim. Producers are advised to adhere to the following requirements:
- To be eligible for two-cut coverage, a minimum of 90 pounds per acre of available nitrogen is required. If there is less available nitrogen, only one-cut coverage will be provided.
- Adequate irrigation is required.
- Quality compensation will be reduced if contamination from weeds, mold, earth tag or foreign material occurs.
Crop Reporting and Access to Fields
- Producers will be required to submit a copy of their field management handbook.
- Producers will be required to grant reasonable access to fields and production to allow SCIC to monitor crop progress, obtain core samples and complete inspections.
- Producers will be required to notify the customer service office if production problems are encountered, including harvest delays due to inclement weather.
- Producers will be required to provide a representative bale weight for each lot by a method agreed upon by SCIC.
SCIC is committed to developing a financially sound insurance package to meet the needs of timothy hay producers. Producer input and co-operation is essential to the growth of this insurance program. SCIC encourages all timothy hay producers to discuss their needs and concerns with the Corporation.
Download PDF version
We have made a PDF version available for you to download and save to your device. This version is also printer friendly.Click here to start the download »
Timothy Hay Insurable Area
Additional maps located under our Resources webpage
View the insurable area.