Crop Insurance offers coverage on:
- canary seed
- faba beans
- field peas
- identity-preserved canola, identity-preserved canola insurable varieties
- Khorasan wheat/Kamut®, Khorasan Wheat/Kamut® insurable area
- lentils (large green, red, other)
- mustard (brown, oriental, yellow)
- rye (fall, spring)
- sunflowers, sunflower insurable area
- wheat (Canada prairie, extra strong, hard red, hard white and all other purpose classes)
- winter wheat
Soft white spring wheat will be insured as Canada Prairie spring wheat.
Insurance is available for both oilseed full season (OFS) and oilseed early maturing (OEM) sunflowers. If you grow both classes, production is offset in the event of a claim.
In regards to khorasan wheat/Kamut®, a production contract must be supplied to SCIC upon request.
Additional Insurable Specialty Crops
Yield loss only coverage for the following specialty crops is available at 50, 60 or 70 per cent coverage. Terms and conditions provide insurance features and agronomic practices required for insurance. Please select a crop:
These specialty crops are insured for yield-loss and quality coverage (50, 60 or 70 per cent).
- chickpeas, chickpea insurable area
- dry beans: dryland, irrigated, dryland dry bean insurable area, bean insurable varieties
- timothy hay, timothy hay insurable area,
Production guarantees are determined using the provincial long-term average yield for the following:
- dryland dry beans
- timothy hay
- grain corn
- hemp grain
Individual coverage is applied to:
- alfalfa seed
- irrigated dry beans
These crops are insured for loss of productive units. Vegetables are insured for acreage loss, commercial vegetables are insured for cabbage and pumpkin plant loss and fruit trees are insured for tree loss. There are no coverage levels available for these crops.
The Bee Mortality Program offers insurance for winter mortality losses in bees.